Monday, March 7, 2011

Yes...Soup for You

I don't necessarily consider myself a great cook, but I can hold my own.  I usually have to follow some sort of recipe though because ingredients are too expensive to just willy-nilly throw around.

Saturday evening I was in the mood for soup.  I decided to go with a White Bean and Ham soup adapted from a  recipe from one of my favorite websites -- Allrecipes.

Here is the recipe:


  • 2 (15.5 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
  • 2 potatoes partially cooked in microwave but still firm -- diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 bay leaf

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots and onion in butter. Stir in the water, broth, ham, potatoes, seasonings and bay leaf; cook over medium heat until heated through. Simmer covered over low heat for 45 to 60 minutes.  Discard bay leaf before serving.

Yum.  I really enjoy this soup.  It makes about 6 servings.

(I forgot to take a picture before I ate the last bowl for lunch)


3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'm not a fan of potatoes but I'd be willing to try 'em in here. Actually, I've had some potatoes in soup recently so I'd definitely try this.

    Yay for AR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love great northern beans - this sounds good and I could easily adapt it to vegetarian. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ham & beans, I love those ... looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete