On Saturday, April 30th, the DEA is sponsoring a drug take back day. This is a chance to get rid of your unwanted medications SAFELY.
To find a collection site near you click HERE.
If there is not a collection site near you follow these federal guidelines put out by the Office of National Drug Control Policy :
Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet or drain unless the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so. For information on drugs that should be flushed visit the FDA website.
If a drug take‐back or collection program is not available near you:
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers
- Mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
- Put the mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag.
- Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
- Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash
Thank you for doing your part in helping to protect the environment and preventing diversion!