I joined a running group, organized by the gym that I am a member of, a few weeks ago. This is the second year that they have done this. I did it last year, too. Plain and simple, I
Our running group is split into different sections depending on what you are training for. We have people training for their first 5K. We have several people training for a 10K, but the majority of the group is training for a 25K. I am part of the 25Kers and this group is split between advanced and beginners with the only difference between the two being the mileage for the long run (it usually varies by 2 miles).
Today's advanced group was running 9 miles. I contemplated running the 7 miles the beginners were doing since my legs were so tired from doing a heavy weight session yesterday (note to self: do not do that again, dummy). Instead of turning off at the marker for 7 miles, I ventured on to the 9 mile course. I, by no means, consider myself an advanced runner. Sometimes I just need the push to do something that might make me a little uncomfortable. 7 miles today = comfortable. 9 miles today= uncomfortable.
All of the other runners in the advanced group are faster than me so even though we start off as a group, I end up running solo within the first mile. I see the gazelles ahead of me, but alas, no one is behind me. I do not like to listen to music while I run. I have a phobia of anything being in my ears, plus I don't want to get distracted at the wrong time and become someones hood ornament. Thus, I have a lot of time to think while I am out there pounding the pavement.
Some of today's thoughts:
- I wonder if my Garmin will last for the duration of this run on 40% battery life
- I wonder who else in blog land is running at this very moment
- Watch your footing -- Michigan weather leads to potholes that can swallow a small child
- I am thankful for the clear roads (by clear I mean free of snow or ice)
- I am not thankful for the WIND, whew! (unless said wind is at my back allowing me to see how it feels to run a 7 minute mile)
- That beautiful red cardinal makes 5 roadkills that I passed today
- I wonder if animals pre-roadkill are fearful seconds before they become actual roadkill
- Interesting that a package of ground turkey was laying on the side of the road....did someone toss it out the window or did it fall out? If it fell out how the heck would that happen? If someone tossed it out why the heck would they do that.
- Why do people litter?
- I wonder what percentage of runners spit? (I spit when I run because my saliva gets so thick I almost choke trying to swallow it. I know it is not very pretty, but it is necessary.)
- Why do some drivers get so pissed off when they see a runner they purposely don't move over
- I should invest in a Road ID
- I love my socks
- Hills can bite me
- Jim at 50 after 40 is running the Austin Marathon tomorrow. Good luck Jim.
- Cold water in cold weather tastes delightful
- Answer to thought #1 is no. Damn, Garmin just died
- How many more miles?
- I am pleased the sun is shining but my face isn't. (I have terrible melasma above my upper lip and absolutely no sunscreen I have tried helps)
- Thank you God for allowing me to run 9.32 miles today
What do you think about while running?
Do you spit when you run?
Any suggestions regarding the sunscreen issue? (I am almost tempted to put some masking tape on the affected area while exposed to the sun for any length of time. Seriously.)
Total miles for this week = 18.32.