Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weekend Ramblings

Fifth Third River Bank Run
The largest 25K road race in the US

I can't believe the 25K is 2 weeks away!

Where did the time go?  I remember when training officially began way back in January in the cold and snow.  Now we are into May and the race is almost here.  Last year at this time if you would have asked me if I was ready my reply would have been no.  This year I feel I am a stronger and more confident runner.  I am excited for this race as it will be my first since the Chicago Marathon.  Let's hope the weather cooperates for us.  May in Michigan can be kinda iffy.

I ran a 12 miler on Friday with my occasional running buddy (L) and another runner from our Saturday morning running group (B).  We met at B's house since she had a pretty 12 mile route planned for us out along the country roads.  The sun was shining and the temperature was 35 degrees.  Perfect!  We started off strong with the first few miles in the 9:30's.  That was a little fast for B as she tends to run 10's.  I knew we probably would not be able to run like L and I usually do because the pace was too fast for B, and that was fine with me.  My intention was just to have a nice run to get in 12 miles.

Around mile 6, B started having issues with her feet which caused her to stop several times in the next few miles.  I stopped with her, but L continued on with no hint of wanting to wait for B.  I figured I wouldn't want to be left behind if I was having a hard time so why should I leave her?  We all started together so why not encourage one another to the end?  By the time L looked back to see where we were, we were at least a mile behind.  She just continued on the route and was waiting for us at the end.  I was kind of disappointed in L's actions.  What do you think?  Our pace was 10:30 even with stopping and walking so it still wasn't all that bad.  Anyway, it was nice to get my long run done on Friday morning, especially since I had to work Saturday.

In other news, this was our driveway on Sunday at 9:30am
5 yards of mulch.....

and this was our driveway at 11:30am

and this is where it went

It is so nice to finally see flowers in my yard!!!

Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend.  Can't wait to read race recaps from this weekend.

Oh, one last thing....I ran a total of 109 miles in April!!  Woot....Woot.

  • What is your next race?
  • Is there proper etiquette when running with a partner, i.e. leave no man behind?
  • What is the most you ran in a month?



6 comments:

  1. I think running etiquette needs to be hammered out beforehand, because everyone differs on this. I know some groups that never leave a runner behind, but others who agree that if one person has a bad day, the others should go on ahead. But since this is a tricky area I rarely run with groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next race is the Wisconsin Marathon this Sat.

    Proper etiquette? Not sure. I wouldn't leave someone..but that's just me. Maybe she felt it was ok because she saw you were staying?

    My highest mileage is usually through the winter months..highs of around 135.

    Your yard looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome driveway and dirt-pile-to-flower-bed switcheroo :) The flowers are lovely!

    Yay for getting that 12 in and doing it well. I think communication is key when running with a partner. If someone is struggling but feels okay struggling on their own, then leaving is okay. If they really need the buddy to help pull them through, stay! JMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed all the mulch was moved in 2 hours

    As for running with partners, if it was a organized group run, there should be designated sweepers to make sure everyone is accounted for. If its just friends getting together, you should run together, dropping your pace to help out a friend who doesnt have it that day will be remembered for a long time and is greatly appreciate. Its good karma, because one day you might have the same experience

    Next race is this Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on April and the long run. I agree with XLMIC on the running with a partner, check in with them and see what they need, if you don't have specific goals for the run then stick with them til the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some great mileage for April!! I don't run with anyone because I'm just too dang slow to keep up with anyone. Love the flowers...and signs of Spring!

    ReplyDelete